U.S. Census Bureau – Small Business Data Products
A Curated List of Small Business Data Products and Data Tools
- Small Business Pulse Survey: Measures the effect of changing business conditions during the Coronavirus pandemic on our nation’s small businesses.
- County Business Patterns: Provides sub-national economic data by industry and employment size. Includes the number of establishments, employment, first quarter payroll and annual payroll.
- Nonemployer Statistics: Provides sub-national economic data for businesses that have no paid employees and are subject to federal income tax.
- Nonemployer Statistics by Demographics: Provides demographic characteristics for nonemployer businesses in the United States.
- Annual Business Survey: Provides economic and demographic information for businesses and business owners, including employment and receipts size, as well as other business characteristics such as innovation.
- Statistics of U.S. Businesses: Provide national and sub-national data on the distribution of economic data by enterprise size and industry.
- Economic Census: Provides detailed information on all businesses, covering most industries and all geographic areas of the United States, every five years.
- American Community Survey: The premier source of information about America’s changing population, housing, and workforce.
- Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics (LEHD): Provides unique linked employer-employee data for the United States used to research and characterize workforce dynamics by industry.
- Business Dynamics Statistics (BDS): Provide annual measures of business dynamics for the economy, aggregated by establishment and firm characteristics.
- Experimental Business Dynamics Statistics (EXP-BDS): The Center for Economic Studies (CES) is extending the Longitudinal Business Database (LBD), by matching additional datasets from a variety of sources. CES is developing a suite of experimental Business Dynamics Statistics (BDS) products using these newly linked data. These products expand and improve the LBD/BDS data infrastructure and provide additional public use information about how firm characteristics relate to employment flows.
- 2019 Capital Expenditures for Robotic Equipment: These survey results will include national-level estimates of capital expenditures for robotic equipment by 2-digit NAICS sector and select 3-digit and 4-digit NAICS industries. The data are tabulated in the 2012 North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code.
- Selected Monthly State Tax Collections: Provides data for the following sales taxes: general sales, lodging, alcoholic beverages, motor fuel, tobacco products as well as individual income and corporate income taxes. Data reported for a specific month generally represent sales taxes collected on sales made during the prior month.
- Veteran Employment Outcomes: Show earnings and employment outcomes for U.S. Army veterans who completed their initial term of active-duty service. Data are generated by linking veteran records provided by the U.S. Army to national administrative data on jobs from the Census Bureau.
- Business Formation Statistics (BFS): These statistics provide timely and high-frequency information on new business applications and formations in the United States.
- Weekly Business Formation Statistics: In addition to releasing quarterly BFS, the Census Bureau releases weekly business application data at the national regional, and state levels.
- Community Resilience Estimates: Provide an easily understood metric for how at-risk every neighborhood in the United States is to the impacts of disasters, including COVID-19.
Featured Data Products and Tools for Small Businesses