NIST’s International Cybersecurity Update – International Dialogues
With the new year under way, NIST is continuing to engage with our international partners to enhance cybersecurity. Here are some updates on our international work from the end of 2023 into the beginning of 2024:
- Conversations have continued with our partners throughout the world on the update to the NIST Cybersecurity Framework (CSF) 2.0. The current Draft CSF 2.0 has been shared in a public comment period that ended in November 2023. Stay tuned for the final version to be published soon!
- NIST international engagement continues through our support to the Department of State and the International Trade Administration (ITA) during numerous international dialogues.
- NIST participated in the U.S.-European Union (EU) Cybersecurity Dialogue in Brussels, Belgium in December 2023. NIST shared information on cybersecurity resources and efforts in several areas, including its technical contributions to a voluntary cybersecurity labelling program for Internet of Things (IoT) devices or products. More information on this event can be found in this joint statement.
- NIST joined the U.S.-Republic of Korea (ROK) dialogue that took place in Seoul in January 2024. NIST shared information during the dialogue with Korean government representatives on a number of key resources, including the Cybersecurity Framework 2.0 update. NIST also had the opportunity to join ITA colleagues for meetings with Korean government officials and industry to discuss NIST’s work on the Cybersecurity Framework 2.0 update, NICE cybersecurity workforce and education efforts (including the upcoming NICE Conference in June 2024), and NIST IoT cybersecurity guidance. More information can be found in this media statement.
- NIST representatives have been traveling the world both virtually and in person to share information on several key projects.
- In November 2023, NIST presented virtually on the Cybersecurity Framework 2.0 update at a Digital Policy Workshop in El Salvador and shared information on resources translated into Spanish. More on this event can be found in this joint statement.
- NIST traveled to Paris, France in December 2023 to participate in the Sustainable and Interoperable Digital Identity (SIDI) Hub Inaugural Summit and meet with partners to discuss digital identity issues and areas for collaboration.
- NIST shared remarks virtually on the Cybersecurity Framework 2.0 update in January 2024 at a training course on the Framework hosted by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) for 25 Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) personnel in the Philippines.
- NIST participated in a Latin America event hosted by the US Chamber of Commerce in Miami, Florida in January 2024 to discuss NIST risk management resources including the Privacy Framework, Cybersecurity Framework, and AI Risk Management Framework, and how they can support data governance and risk management for organizations in the region. NIST also discussed how privacy enhancing technologies can enable organizations to share and collaboratively analyze sensitive data in a privacy-preserving manner.
- NIST continues to meet with international partners who visit the U.S., including participation in several international visits this past fall and early this year at the NIST campus and the National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NCCoE). Recent conversations and meetings have taken place with representatives from government and industry from Germany, Switzerland, Montenegro, Japan, India, and the United Kingdom. Topics of discussion included the Cybersecurity Framework 2.0 update, collaboration with industry at the NCCoE, Internet of Things (IoT) cybersecurity guidance, 5G cybersecurity guidance, artificial intelligence (AI), post quantum cryptography, and other priority areas.
- NIST also continues to add to the growing list of translations of resources on the International Cybersecurity and Privacy Resources page. Most recently, translations of the Cybersecurity Framework Version 1.1 in Korean and the NIST Privacy Framework Version 1.0 in Malay have been released. We look forward to adding more to our site in the coming weeks, and if you are aware of additional translations and resources to share, please reach out to us!
We are excited to share these updates with you and will continue to keep you informed in the future. For questions — or to discuss opportunities for international engagement, reach out to us at email@example.com
Updates courtesy of the NIST.